The Illinois High School Theatre Festival includes a college/university audition session for graduating high school acting and design/technical students. As space permits, juniors who plan to study theatre will also be allowed to participate. This event gives college and university representatives the opportunity to audition students from throughout the state, while allowing those students to demonstrate their skills to many institutions at a single time. We hope that your institution will participate in this most valuable program.
The Festival Committee coordinates the administration of these auditions, including the sign-up of auditioning students, the monitoring and the running of the audition session, and the distribution of student résumés to college/university representatives. Auditions will be held on Friday, January 6, 2017.
Following auditions, colleges/universities interested in specific students may select those they wish to speak with or see further.
Student Audition Requirements
Students have been advised of the following:
- The acting performance audition must not exceed two minutes, including introductions and transitions; all auditions will be timed. Students should perform: a single monologue, or two short contrasting monologues, or a short monologue and 16 bars of a song. Students should avoid character/age/dialect roles beyond their individual talents and age ranges.
Technical portfolio presentations will be scheduled simultaneously with the acting auditions. Students will display their work, give a two-minute presentation, and be present to answer specific questions from those college/university representatives interested in design/technical students.
- Eligibility is limited to graduating students who plan to enter college in the summer or fall of 2017 to study theatre. As space permits, juniors who plan to study theatre will also be allowed to participate.
- All colleges and universities intending to participate in the audition process must be an organizational member of the Illinois Theatre Association.
- Only the two designated organizational representatives (one for acting and one for technical) may attend the college/university auditions.
- All colleges and universities intending to participate in the audition process must provide an exhibit (Indicate on your exhibitor registration form if you wish to participate in auditions.)
- Additional representatives wishing to participate in the auditions must pay the $50 registration fee OR be a registered workshop leader.
Please be aware that each college/university attending the auditions will be emailed an electronic file of student résumés. No paper résumés will be handed out, though students are encouraged to bring copies for callbacks.*
*Note regarding callbacks - Students will be emailed a list of those colleges wishing to see them. It is the student's responsibility to visit college representatives who wish to see them on the exhibit floor.
If you have any questions concerning auditions, please contact the Associate Directors for Auditions: